The Danger of Backsliding
Sermon Text: Galatians 4: 12-20
- The Characteristics of a Backslider
- No longer longs for the things of God
- No longer cares for the wellbeing of the church
- No longer craves the Word of God.
- No longer cares of the eternal destiny of the lost.
- The Cause of Backsliding
- The Sin of Casualness-Spending time with the Wrong People
- I Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
- "A year from now you will be the same person you are today, except for the books you read and the people you meet!
- The Sin of Carelessness-Spending Time in the Wrong Places
- 1 Thessalonians 5:22-Abstain from every form of evil.
- The Sin of Compulsiveness-Spending Money on the Wrong Priority
- Proverbs 10: 16 “The earnings of the godly enhances their lives, but evil people squander their money on sin.
- The Sin of Callousness-Developing the Wrong Passion
- Developing the Wrong Passions—Revelation 2:4 “I have somewhat against thee, because thou has left thy first love.”
- There are three people seated in your seat right now: the person you are this very moment; the person you could be for God; and the person you could be for evil.
II. The Consequences of Backsliding
- A backslider hurts himself.
- Galatians 6:7 “you will reap what you sow”
- Proverbs 14:12 Spiritual deadness.
- A backslider hurts others.
- It breaks God’ heart
- It gives the church a bad reputation.
- It is a stumbling block to Christians and non-Christians.
III. The Cure for Backsliding
- A Right Heart
- It must be a humble heart
James 4:6-10-“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.”
(James 4:1-10 ESV)
- It must be a broken heart
Psalm 51:17 “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”
Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
- A Right Attitude
- Right attitude toward God
Proverbs 9:10 “Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment.”
- Right attitude concerning your purpose
Matthew 6:22 “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
- Right attitude toward the lost
Colossians 4:6 Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
Isaiah 55:6 “Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near;”