Jesus, our Passover
Sermon Title: Jesus, our Passover
Sermon Text: 1 Corinthians 5:7
Sermon Date: March 25, 2017
- Sunday- Jesus and His disciples traveling over the Mount of Olives. Two disciples are sent to get a donkey for Jesus to ride on. Jesus rides into Jerusalem the people were shouting “Hosanna to the Song of David. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest heaven. They were quoting Psalm 118:25-26.
- Monday- Jesus cleansed the temple Matthew 21: 12-22
- Tuesday-Jesus challenges the Pharisees and Sadducees over marriage in heaven, paying taxes to Caesar and His own authority. He also commended on the widow’s donation. He pronounced His 8 woes against the Pharisees and that evening gave his Mount Olivet Discourse.
- Wednesday-Jesus was anointed with an expensive perfume while he was at Simon the leper’s house. Judas also meets with the chief priest to betray Jesus.
- Thursday- Peter and John sent to make preparation for the Passover meal. After sunset, they eat the meal, Jesus washes disciples feet and Judas departs. They take the Lord’s Supper, Jesus goes to Gethsemane, get’s arrested.
- Friday-First trial before Annas. Second and primary trial before Sanhedrin-Jesus is condemned and beaten. Third trial before Pilate at dawn. Peter denies Jesus for third time. Fourth trial before Pilate. Fifth trial before Herod and then the Sixth trial back before Pilate. Washes his hands. Turn Jesus over to the Romans soldier and crowd. Takes cross to the gate north of the city and crucifixion stars around 9am.
Darkness from 12-3, at 3 he cries ‘It is finished” The veil is torn from top to bottom. Jesus buried by sundown.
- Saturday- Jesus proclaimed to the spirits in prison. 1 Peter 3:18-19
- Sunday-Resurrection. Makes five appearances: first to Mary Magdalene and tells her to tell the disciples. Second-to two other women who come to the tomb. Third to two disciples on road to Emmaus. Fourth to Simon Peter and then to the disciples. Thomas wasn’t there.
I. The Purpose of the Passover
A. To Remember the Presence of the Lord
B. To Remember the Provision of the Lord
C. To Remember the Passion of the Lord
D. To Remember the Purpose of the Lord
II. The Preparation for the Passover
A. It Is for the Redeemed
B. It Is for the Reconciled
C. It Is for the Reverent
D. It Is for the Repentant
III. The Participation in the Passover
A. It Is a Time of Covenant
B. It Is a Time of Communion
C. It Is a Time of Community